Thursday, April 23, 2020

Welcome Arches

Welcome Arch, Maragondon

Back when I was a little boy, I have always been excited to see these welcome arches that signify borders between towns here in Cavite. These markers are reminders of how far my father's drive has been from home and I even get to count them just to know how many towns away we are at. Aside from route markers, these landmarks also serve a cultural purpose for its people and gives communities a sense of belongingness. 

With the expansion of towns and conversion of most into cities, some of these welcome arches have been brought down to give way to wider roads and more lanes to reduce traffic. But this one in Maragondon, still stands proud and continues to welcome its visitors with strength and might.

For more signs around the world, you can give yourself a tour by visiting my friend Tom's site at http://backroadstraveller.blogspot.com/

18 comments:

  1. Lovely photo of the arch ~ I saw one in FL just before entering Jekkyl Island ~ I loved it ~ gave such a wonderful feel going under it ~

    Be Well,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Carol! no matter how thin they look, going under them felt like passing through some thin tunnel! Love it! Stay safe Carol and Zoe!

      Delete
  2. Nice arch, I like it. It must be a wonderful memory everytime you see it.
    Enjoy your day and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bill and you are right, it always brings me back whenever I pass by :)

      Delete
  3. It is a nice way to welcome you to the town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly it is, makes me feel happy and welcomed! Thank you so much RedPat!

      Delete
  4. ...we also have a Welcome Arch in my home town of Rochester, New York. Thanks for sharing, take care and stay safe.

    https://backroadstraveller.blogspot.com/2016/11/a-walk-around-town.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Tom! Now THAT is some Welcome Arch! I love it so much and it's very interesting to see because on my line of work, I do have some projects converted under your hometown and it's nice to put an image to the name of the place in my mind :)

      Stay safe Tom!

      Delete
  5. I like the arch, too. Few places that I go have them, but I do enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Rose :) They make travels extra special, don't they :)

      Delete
  6. This is a wonderful arch. I hope it stays because it would surely make me feel welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is also my wish Erika. But with the town's proximity to the mountains and low population, I think it would stay for a few more years :)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful. Sad so many have to go down like that! For wider roads, more cars... do we need that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you said that right! We need more trees and animals and plants and yes let's add those beautiful arches on our protect list Iris :)

      Delete
  8. I love the arch. You don't see that many here in the U.S. What an enticing entry, with the trees and the big welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm glad you noticed the tree lined road which was such a beautiful sight for me everytime I pass there :) Stay Safe Jeanie!

      Delete

Mabuhay! Welcome to Cavite Daily Photo! Thank you so much for your comments! They really brighten up my day and my province as well! Your comments are truly appreciated and it is what keeps this blog going on!

Stevenson